Power system protection systems play a crucial role in establishing reliable electrical power systems. Poorly designed protection systems may result in major power failures. Due to the increasing importance of electricity, such power failures can have a serious impact on society and the economy.
Knowledge of power system protection systems is key when it comes to optimising the reliability level of electrical infrastructures. With the advances in protection and communication technology in recent decades plus the strong increase of renewable energy sources, the design and operation of power system protection systems has become ever more challenging.
This course presents the fundamentals of power system protection and its application. A very “hands-on” approach is used to teach the concepts. Understanding is then reinforced with real world examples. Interaction is encouraged between participants and the presenters, to underpin the learning objectives.
This course is designed for technical professionals working in transmission or distribution network operator companies, consultancy organisations, in large industries or government organisations involved in design, engineering, commissioning or maintenance of protection systems. It is recommended that participants have at least a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
* introduction to power system protection
* introduction to power systems
* power system and power system protection calculations
* symmetrical component methods
* use of software programs for fault calculations (demonstration)
* protection technologies
* instrument transformers
* circuit breakers
* protection of power transformers
* protection of power systems with high degree of renewable energy sources
* distance protection
* protection of HVDC networks
* protection of power cables and lines
* protection of substations
* protection of motors
* protection of generators
* arc flash studies
* frequency and voltage protection
* special protection functions
* wide are protection
* testing of power system protections
* trends in power system protection
* relay setting management
* IEC 61850
* failure investigations
For more detailed information, please refer to the brochure or contact us.
This course is also available on request (inhouse or customized). Please contact us for more information.